March 19, 2020
Dear Downtown Partners,
During this very challenging time, we want you to know that the Calgary Downtown Association is here for you and your business. We’re working with The City of Calgary and our partners to champion the needs of Calgary businesses. The health and safety of Calgarians remains our top priority, and we understand the challenges that the business community is facing right now because of the COVID-19 crisis. We’re here to help advocate for you, to get you the support you need.
On March 16, City Council approved a corporate strategy to enable better and quicker support for our business community and the local economy. A Business Sector Support Committee has been established, made up of members from the The City of Calgary, Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Calgary Economic Development and representatives from businesses including Business Improvement Areas. The mandate is to monitor, evaluate and manage sustainability and wellness of the business community.
We are working with this committee to share our immediate concerns and needs on behalf of the Downtown businesses, with CEMA (Calgary Emergency Management Agency), and advocate to the provincial and federal government for further aid. More information on incoming support for businesses will be made available as updates happen.
In the meantime, I encourage you to continue to help flatten the curve so we can resolve this local state of emergency and get businesses back on their feet sooner.
- Complete this short COVID-19 Business Survey by March 25, 2020. Your feedback will help inform how we support you and advocate on your behalf.
- Continue to maintain at least 1-2 metres between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. Why? When someone coughs or sneezes, they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the virus.
- Utilize the resources available such as posters:
- Check back often with the most reliable and accurate sources of information such as:
- Continue to share your messages on social media. Resources for marketing your local business are available on ca/buylocal.
- Check back often to the CDA website:
We will continue to work hard to provide updates and useful information as we obtain it, or as developments happen to support you. We’re all in this together and we’ll make it through this together.
Marco De Iaco | Executive Director
Calgary Downtown Association